Donut, What? What?


Friday, July 6th, 2012
Happy post-fourth of July! I hope you all enjoyed a little red white and blue fun.  Today, we have donuts (or for those of you on the other side of the pond, Donuts).  It amazes me how people have different ways of addressing the same thing. For example, we have cookies, and England has biscuits.  They dip theirs in tea.  We dip ours in nothing, because a soggy biscuit of the American variety is pure insanity.

But I digest.  My point is that some things just don't translate well from language to language. I've seen hot water bawl and I've enjoyed a sizzling char-grilled flaming young.  By that standard, donuts and doughnuts seem to be fairly easy to discern.  It's all about the way words are perceived.  For example, if I told you that I had gotten a filling, you'd probably notice a bit of gold in my teeth.  On the other hand, I'm fairly certain donuts don't visit the dentist for chocolate fillings. Or perhaps they do.  Contrary to popular belief, just because a man has a glazed look in his eye, does not necessarily mean he's been eating donuts.

Perhaps it's a function of people that language can be used in so many ways.  Perhaps in that way, donuts are also like people - some are fresh, some are fruity, and some are crummy. But in the end, they're what keep the world running!

Chris Scott
Production (Donut) Resource Manager
Digital DoughMain Pastry Loop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Star Wars Celebration Orlando 2017, or What It's Like When a Nerd Takes Acid

TESLA REVIEW PART II: THE ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

Spanish for Donut